I had an issue this week that I was unable to sign in to my personal WSS site. for some reason the popup login screen never showed. I know that my company laptop is heavily secured as well as the network. So if it was a firewall blocking or my IE settings that did not allow the logon, I didn’t care. All I needed was being able to logon to my site.
This brought me to the idea of implementing FBA for my site. I didn’t want to manage users in a SQL database etc. I just needed FBA to authenticato to Active Directory. I stumbled upon a great blog post by meysun (aka Meyyappan Meenakshisundaram).
Here is what he wrote:
1. Configure SharePoint Central Admin
- Login to SharePoint Central Admin
- Go to Application Management / Application Security / Authentication Providers and Change the Web Application to the one which needs to be configured for Forms Based Authentication
- Click zone / default, change authentication type to forms and enter ActiveDirectoryMembershipProvider under membership provider name ( for example , “ADMembershipProvider”) and save this change
2.Update the web.config of SharePoint Central admin site
under <configuration> node
<add name=”ADConnectionString” connectionString=”LDAP://DynamicsAX.local/CN=Users,DC=DynamicsAX,DC=local” />
under <system.web> node
replace the connectionstring to the one matching your encvironment and replace”xxx” with domainname\username and “yyy” with password
3.Update the web.config of SharePoint Web application
- Repeat step 2 for the web.config of the SharePoint webapplication to be configured for Forms Based Authentication
- Change the authentication in web.config to
So, Thanks meysun for your post. It really helped me out !