I thought I’d share with you guys what I had experienced during the upgrade from my WSS 3.0 server to SharePoint Foundation 2010 beta.
First of all, my WSS 3.0 is quite small. There’s only One site collection in there of any significance en some other site collections for testing purposes. So with this in mind I thought this would be a piece of cake.
After having made a stsadm backup of every site collection and a backup of all my SharePoint databases, I was ready to start. After having read though the deployment docs, I found out that if you are running SQL 2008, that it needs to be at least SP1. I was already running that build so I was good to go for that. I must admit that the prerequisite installer runs smoothly. It does detect your missing prerquisite software and goes out to the interent to download the missing bits. The installation of SharePoint Foundation went flawlessly. I was quickly able to start up the Products and Configuration wizard.
The upgrade wizard quickly failed, telling me that I need to install the Dutch Language Pack as it is also installed for WSS 3.0. A quick look on the web showed me that there isn’t one yet available. Hmm.. problem number 1. I had to uninstall the Dutch language Pack before I could continue. Since all my site collections are also created in Dutch, I needed to convert them to an Englich version, so I decided to do some unsupported stuff and change the language of my site using the following SQL command on my content database:
UPDATE dbo.webs set language = 1033
Sure enough, my sites are now back in English. I ran the uninstall for the dutch WSS Language Pack and again I was good to go.
My next attempt for running teh upgrade failed as well, complaining about an incorrect SQL version. What the h***? Hadn’t I checked that already before? As it turns out you do not only need SQL 2008 SP1, but it also needs the Cumulative Update 2 for SP1 installed. So I got to download those bits, install them and voila, we are back in business.
The final attempt for the upgrade succeeded. The upgrade process ran successfully, giving no errors and I was soon presented with the new Central Admin site.I quickly checked the look of my sites, which was as expected still the same, although if you go through to Site Settings, you immediately notice that something has changed. It isn’t quite the old version anymore.
So all I needed to do is play aroud with the Visual Upgrade Preview and fin out how my sites will look in their SharePoint 2010 version.
so that’s it for my first upgrade experience.
Well actually it isn’t, because after all my sites had been upgraded I decided to take a backup of my new site collections using stsadm and remove everything. I uninstalled SharePoint Foundation 2010, WSS 3.0, deleted all my SQL databases and started a clean install of SharePoint Foundation 2010. After that I restored the site collections and there I was again: up and running. I don’t like running some hybrid versions with both WSS and Foundation installed and prefer a clean install [:D]