Saving Document to SharePoint using Office 2003 resets choice metadata fields to default values

I was recently facing an issue as described in http://stackoverflow.com/questions/809179/saving-a-document-to-sharepoint-brings-up-web-file-properties-dialog-with-incor

Recap from original post:

Situation:

  • A custom “Master Document” content type inherits from Document
  • The “Master Document” content type has five additional choice fields
  • There are five custom “Document Template” content types that inherit from the “Master Document” content type
  • Each of the “Document Template” content types uses a different Word document template (.dot) file
  • Each of the “Document Template” content types have been added to a document library

Problem:

  1. I click on a document in the library
  2. Document opens up in Word 2003 for me to edit
  3. I make some changes and save
  4. A box pops up called “Web File Properties”. The window contains all of my custom metadata properties and the ContentType field. The ContentType field is set correctly to the current content type. The other fields are reset to their default values. This same window can apparently be opened by going to File -> Properties

This window by itself would be fine except for two reasons:

  • It includes the ContentType column
  • All of my custom metadata properties are visible but are reset to their default values instead of whatever values were previously selected. This means, every time the user wants to save the document, they have to remember what properties were tagged and set them back.

Question:

  1. Can I disable this Web File Properties box?
  2. If no… can I get the fields that show up to be populated to their correct values?
  3. If no… is there a way to disable my fields from displaying in this window?
  4. If no… is this a SharePoint page that I can modify?

***Edit with some more information***

It looks like this only happens in Office 2003 and looks like it affects Choice fields. If I create the same column as a Lookup field, it seems to work.

Edit again

Looks like if the lookup field is a multi-select field then it will not show up in the Web File Properties box at all (single select lookups still work).

edit 10/14/2009

Link to the KB Article mentioned below by Brenda: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/971500/

My Solution:

Of Course the suggested hotfix, which in fact is the June Cumulative Update for WSS did not fix my issue, but I did find a solution at the end.

What really happens when you call the Web File Properties box is that your client will download 3 javascript files from the server:  bform.js, core.js and init.js. You can check this by by opening up the document library causing the issue and clearing your temporary internet files at that time. When you now call the Web File Properties in Word 2003 through File –> Properties, you will notice these 3 script files being downloadin in your temprary internet files folder.

On the SharePoint front-end servers, you can find these files in the 12-hive\Template\Layouts\<LCID> folders, where you have  to replace <LCID> with your language codes installed (1033, English; 1043, Dutch; …. you get the picture, right?)

So the problem is most likely caused by one of those javascript files. Now we have had the issue since we had installed SP2 and the June Cumulative Update. So I decided to restore these 3 script files and play aroun with these files for a while.

As it happens, my problem went away by replacing the bform.js file with a pre-SP2 version and clearing my

So if your issue does not get resolved by the suggested method of Microsoft, which is installing the latest Cumulative Update, then try restoring a previous version of this file and remember that you will need to clear this file from your client’s Temporary Internet Folder to force a download of the latest version from the server.

 

8 thoughts on “Saving Document to SharePoint using Office 2003 resets choice metadata fields to default values

  1. Hello All

    I am using 2003 Word .Sharepoint 2007 .I have many content types almost 15 .When i click on new and select a Content Type of Dutch.The metadat properties dropdown would have it as Spanish instead of Dutch has anybody faced similar issue plz help

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *